Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2014

1st post for bfaftv2 - films and foes


First task:
Cinematic art comprises of both sound and the moving pictures.  My passion for film comes from my love for music and the moving pictures.  What I most cherish about life is those moments, for one reason or another, permanently stain your memory, like the remnant of blood that Lady Macbeth could not wash from her hands despite her OCD hand-washing nature.  Though, these moments do not necessarily have to produce those neurotic, crazy reactions as they did to her.  They could be tender, loving, erratic, contemplative, delusional, religious and whatever else that our being is allowed to feel and experience.  My passion for film is my search for these moments whether in my life or in the characters that I’m exploring.  DH Lawrence once wrote that “beauty is an experience”, as a student filmmaker, I too, attempt to capture beauty through experience, by creating unforgettable moments for the characters (and hopefully the audiences who are open to experience), or moments that encapsulate a concept, a meaning that I wish to communicate.  For example, you might ask, how would I communicate this “moment” penned by Virginia Woolf from Mrs Dalloway, “For she was a child throwing bread to the ducks, between her parents, and at the same time a grown woman coming to her parents who stood by the lake, holding her life in her arms, which as she neared them, grew larger and larger in her arms, until it became a whole life, a complete life, which she put down by them and said ‘This is what I have made of it! This!’ And what had she made of it? What, indeed?”
Yes, indeed, how would I communicate that moment to the audience?  It is my hope and dream to precisely do so through the cinematic medium.

Second task:
One of the films which greatly inspires and intrigues me is “Witgenstein” by Derek Jarman.  Witgenstein is a semi-biography of the philosopher Ludwig Witgenstein, it focuses on the philosophical progression of Witgenstein rather the factual events of his life.  I love the abstract, colourful world created by Derek which greatly contrasts the profound subject matter of the film.  Additionally, the theatre-like setting of the film allows the use of symbolism, and further accentuating the thoughts of the film to the audiences.  This film has greatly influent my understanding of philosophy, and the space of my life which I allow philosophy to occupy.  Bellow is a link to one of the clips of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2jpVNFLdw&list=PL18B7D08A19BCC37B

No comments:

Post a Comment